Staying hydrated is not only crucial for adults but also for babies as well. And we all know that the key to staying hydrated lies in drinking water. But let us tell you that not all water is created equal and safe, and most parents know this very well; that is why it is obvious that they will explore the most reliable and safest water for their babies.
One type of water that has gained a lot of popularity recently is alkaline water. It is believed that this water can provide a number of health benefits, all because of its higher pH value; however, alkaline water is totally safe for adults, but before giving it to babies, parents need to understand whether it is safe for their delicate systems or not.
In this blog post, we will take a detailed look into whether babies can consume alkaline water or not.
Alkaline Water and its Health Benefits
This section is for parents who are not aware of what actually alkaline water is. It is water that has a pH higher than typical drinking water is referred to as alkaline. It is alkalized, which means that if new minerals are put in, the original minerals are kept.
- Consuming alkaline water can help in reducing the risk of diseases like bone disintegration, osteoporosis, etc.
- It also helps reduce the chances of any kind of kidney ailments, especially kidney stones.
- Alkaline water greatly contributes to boosting blood circulation throughout the human body and immune system for overall health being.
- This type of water is loaded with antioxidants that help in lowering the overall chances of premature aging.
Now, we think you will have a thorough idea of what is alkaline water and it is now whether it can be suitable for babies or not.
Can babies drink alkaline water or not?
The answer to this question depends on your baby’s age, if your baby is under 6 months, then it is not recommended to give him/her alkaline water. After 6-months, medical experts suggest that parents can introduce small amounts of plain water to their babies. But parents should not replace breast milk.
However, if the baby is around 3-5 years old (active preschooler), then he/she can consume a small amount (around 40 oz) of alkaline water.
It is not recommended to introduce alkaline water to newborns. However, it is always advisable to consult with a doctor before making any significant changes to the baby’s diet.
At what age babies can freely consume alkaline water?
The appropriate age for a baby to start drinking alkaline water can vary depending on age, health, and other medications. Due to this reason, it is always recommended to get in touch with a pedestrian to determine whether it is suitable to provide your baby with alkaline water.
Is it okay to use alkaline water for baby formula?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not recommend using alkaline water for baby formula. This is so because the higher pH level of alkaline water can disrupt the delicate balance of the baby’s sensitive digestive system and also affect the absorption of nutrients from the formula.
Along with this, the academy also claims that the alkalinity in the water can result in electrolyte imbalance in infants.
Due to this, if your baby is a few months old, then it is recommended to make use of plain or tap water – the water that directly comes into your home from the local water supplier.
If you (the parent) want a safer and healthier option, you can consider filtering plain or tap water with the help of a water filtration system. Filtered water is considered the safest and healthier type of water for babies or infants.
Is alkaline water completely safe for babies?
There is no doubt that alkaline water can be very beneficial to your health. But is it also totally safe for your babies? Let’s look into:
- Be cautious to see a medical expert before introducing alkaline water to your baby, and it remember that it should also not be given to your kid with age less than 6 months.
- It is advised to avoid mixing baby formula or any other type of baby food with alkaline water while breastfeeding your baby, and for these reasons, continue to use regular tap water, but be sure to monitor the water’s quality.
- If your child is on any medication, be cautious not to give them alkaline water to prevent potential problems.
- Generally speaking, it is advised to steer clear of offering your baby alkaline water, as the health advantages have not been shown by science. It is crucial to keep in mind that the ideal meal for newborns is breast milk until they are six months old. Once they reach this significant milestone, it is recommended to start giving complete, natural, raw foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what age can babies easily drink alkaline water?
As we have already mentioned multiple throughout this article. There are certain conditions (especially age) where drinking alkaline water will be inappropriate for your newborn baby. If your baby is below the age of six months, then it is advisable not to provide alkaline water to your baby.
What are the possible health benefits of alkaline water for human health?
A number of researches claim that drinking alkaline water may have possible health benefits such as:
- Enhanced hydration.
- Decreased risk of kidney failure.
- Support in bone health.
And so on…
Is consuming alkaline water good for feeding?
Drinking alkaline water is one of the best ways to neutralize the acidity of our meals and provide nursing moms and their babies with a healthy alkalinity balance.
You should avoid providing alkaline water to your babies until they become 5 or 6 years old. In this article, we have tried to address every bit of detail that parents need to know when it comes to providing babies with alkaline water. We hope you will find this article valuable.